1990's japanese BLR '81 in 308 w/steel frame, and straight grip with barrel band, & skinny little 20" barrel, and it shoots the cheap-o remngton and Winne ammo from Wally world, paying no attention to lot numbers or brand, just weight of bullet, into 1.5-1.75" with ease. Scope is a Leupy 3.5 x 10. I was about to buy a reloading rig, but my good buddy just moved back to town, complete with full RCBS setup in tow, and has offered it's use if I buy him 2 sets of dies he wants - like I would turn that deal down!

I intend to develop a good load for it (taking magazine length into due consideration), and also to try it without the little barrel band, as it appears to have little to no use, and bet I can shrink it to 1" with little effort.

I got a great trade on mine and did not care for it at first as it was neither modern enough or traditional enough to suit me, but the BLR is one of those unsung rifles that are just great for hunting. The combination of quick lever-action firepower,a hammer that is always handy yet always safe, and powerful standard cartridges + excellent accuracy make it a great combo. Pair that with a box magazine for easy loading/unloading (unlike the King gate on traditional guns), and you have one that is TOUGH to beat!

My gun is quickly establishing itself as my "go to" gun for Southeastern white-tail hunting. This year I intend to have the metal surfaces tefloned, and then i may have the Exotic Synthetics guys work thier magic on the stock, thus making it as beautiful as it is functional.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.