Handy, how many dozen so far? We'll see, but I know you won't be showing any cripples that get away.
I haven't shot many elk with a 7mm Mag. a few, but my two pals probably have shot around 100, maybe not that many but close. They have found them excellent elk killers. No one mentioned where the elk was hit in the Aspen country. I know this, not all shots turn out as well as we want for whatever reason, if you don't know that you haven't hunted much. Power doesn't make up for poor shooting, but with a less than perfect hit, it does more damage. As far as shooting elk behind the ear, I would again ask, how many dozen have fallen to these shots? I shot one behind the ear, she was close, and it was just at shooting time being over. I had a good rest and she wasn't far. The only guy I knew that liked that shot, was an old logger because he shot a .243. His nephew's are the 7mm mag. shooters I mentioned earlier. They usually hunted with their uncle and said it took forever to get him a shot. Often they shot the elk for him so they could all go home.

Molon Labe