Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by JLH3
One thing about these discussions is that the question is, "What is the minimum caliber you'd use on an elk?" when it should be, "What's the minimum caliber you'd use on a bull elk?"

Too often we see people say "I've shot lots of elk with a .243" and they show a picture of a cow. Get close enough and shoot accurately and a .243 is probably fine for a cow. But I'm not going to try and kill a trophy 6x6 with one.

Cows and bulls are often two very different animals when it comes to size. When my oldest went on a cow elk hunt two years, I didn't hesitate to have him use a 6.5 Grendel. Inside of 250 yards it was plenty of gun. If that had been a bull hunt, I would've said .270 minimum.

Good point! I concur, though I might go a bit farther…….what’s the minimum caliber/cartridge that you would use on a “once in a lifetime” bull elk hunt?

I think that this would be pretty relevant because…..many hunters may only have the opportunity to make their “dream hunt” one time! memtb
Or just a hunt 1000 miles from home. Huge difference between someone who lives in elk country and may have a month long season and the guy who travels 4 states from home and has 5 days to get his bull (or cow).

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor