Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
We've shot a lot of deer using TTSX, TSX and lately the LRX with excellent results at all ranges. This year we went elk hunting for the first time since 1992 and ended up recovering a couple of 168gr TTSX bullets. After seeing the results first hand and not reading or seeing pictures of the results of water or ballistic gel test. Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Barnes TTSX anymore. We're going to keep shooting TTSX, LRX bullets and killing stuff with them like we always have....but damn.
Using the Burger bullet calculator site, it says a 168gr bullet started at 3250 fps is supposed to be moving along at 2238 fps at 600yds. These bullets were recovered from elk shot between 610 and 630yds with a starting MV of 3250+ fps.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How far did the elk travel after the hit before they expired and what damage did you see on the insides? I haven't shot enough animals with Barnes bullets to make any kind of judgment so asking out curiosity.
Our elk didn't go far, less than 40yds, excellent results like always when using Barnes bullets. Internal damage was impressive considering the the bullets didn't mushroom or shed petals. The average weight retention of the bullets was close to 95%. I highly recommend Barnes LRX and TTSX bullets but they're not magic. Barnes bullets won't fail when you need them to break a shoulder bone, or need penetration for a frontal or going away shot to reach the vitals.

Good to know enough damage was done with that expansion. To this day regret not shooting a legal bull moose at 550yds with a Barnes a few years ago. I was worried about a circus. Thought it would come closer, but it disappeared.