How about any 300 Mag and the old Speer 180 Mag Tip? I have a friend, an Afrikaner in South Africa) that uses/well used, the 180 Mag Tip out of his Remington 700 .308 and a 300WM he built himself ( a Bofors* machine gun barrel, chambered for the Win Mag and screwed into a Musgrave Receiver) for culling operations. Shoot game all night, reload ammo all morning, sleep all afternoon he said, ha. He tried to head shoot, of course, but sometimes had to shoot at the biggest part he could see in the kill area. He shot alot of Cape eland with both rifles. Maybe still does, lost track of him 20yrs ago. Afrikaner's are "different, Mrs Gump".

* He was soldier and the part-time Armorer in his Army unit that fought the ANC (Mandela's buddies) Commies on the Border and later Cubans in Angola. He said he had access to equipment to turn that Bofors barrel down to manageable weight. It looked like a Varmint barrel. Crude but this was during the Sanctions, a Hunter left him the Remington 700 before the Apartheid sanctions I mean. He shot alot of "elk sized critters" and used alot of bullets ( wherever and from whomever) so he learned alot. I "know" what he told me about how they did (very well) and I wanted to "ask" how you guys liked them on elk. I just thought this would fit here, (since I have always been obsessed with elk) if not, please excuse my ignorance? smile lol

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/17/24.