Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Back to bullets

I usually post this with the title of Data Points.

The last 7 years we have been fortunate to draw tags to hunt cow elk in late December. This year I used a 7mm-08 with factory Barnes 120 TTSX bullet.
i just posted in the Image Gallery, and it was a pass through at 381 yards

With the caveat that this has been strictly cow elk, the following were used:

2- 7mm-08 ( 140 grn Trophy Cooper and 120 grn TTSX
2- 308 ( 165 grn Accubond and 150 grn TTSX)
3- 270 ( 130 grn TTSX)

Ranges between 270 and 400 yards and all pass throughs with one exception being the 150 grn TTSX found under the skin on the off side.

At those ranges you must be missing the shoulders and spine bones to get pass throughs? With the exception of the AB, I would think the barnes would shed petals and speed if they hit bone other than ribs.
Monos are the best bone crushers I’ve seen.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

And if you don’t go “light for caliber” like many people like to do……you can often get end to end penetration on elk sized game…..even after hitting heavy bone!

As a general comment - accurate, fast, high weight retention, deep penetration …..what’s not to like! memtb

Two of the three cows with the 270 were quartering away shots, and both bullets ran through quite a bit of internals prior to exiting on the off side. I did not check the shoulders for any damage as both dropped within feet of where they were standing. The 150 grn TTSX recovered did shed two pedals.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19123055/barnes-ttsx-130

The 270 130 grn TTSX posted in the Image Gallery was recovered from my Aoudad this year. Again, quartering away at 278 yards. It did not shed pedals and weighed 129 grns. It mirrors what Blacktailer posted earlier.

All of the elk I have taken with the monos pretty much had a double diameter exit wound and none of the cows have gone more than 50 yards. My friend still uses the 165 Accubond in his 308 with great results as well. The one big difference I have seen is the amount of blood-shot meat damage on his elk.

I was impressed this year with the performance of the 7mm-08 with the 120 TTSX.

I have gone the full circle of using 280, 7mm Mag and 338 Win Mag for elk and now back to using the calibers listed above. If I ever win the lottery and draw a bull tag, I'll reach for the 270 as I have confidence in that rifle bullet combination.

I may try the 270 Trophy Copper rounds next as they are E-Tips which Federal adds relief grooves.