Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am not agruing anything but most hunters don't need this fast twist long bullet stuff.If you are shooting ultra long range, ok, but most hunters don't need this for their hunting. Range finders, turrets, excellent. But how many folks in the field use them or even need them. They are great, but to the point is most game is taken at less than 500 yards. So fast twist is unimportant. Up to 500 I can do all I want with what I have. I have turrets, range finders I enjoy them. If all works out, the range finders are a great aid in determining exactly the range once I know that I am set. Anymore I don't shoot most game over 400 for a number of reasons. If this fast twist makes you happy fine, I tried it. But for hunting an most shooting it is not that important.

I don't disagree with that, but it seems that everything is a "numbers game" anymore and regardless of who uses what and practicality, numbers are what push popularity and drive obsolescence.

I live in the southeast - we have long seasons with liberal limits and year round shoots for varmints / hogs etc. Only reason I bring that up is even if you shot hundreds of rounds a year at game, typically you'd have to LOOK for places to shoot more than 300y and most of our game shots are 50-150y. I'm sure I could do just about 100% of my hunting with a Savage M99 in .250-3000. Clearly, just about any obsolete round and any multicoated scope would work just fine for me, but I can't say I don't appreciate the "easy button" that some of the newer optics, projectiles, and chamberings like 6CM, 6.5CM, and the various PRC rounds offer, even though I only own a two rifles rifle (300 blackout and 6.5CM) in a chamberinging that is less than 50y old.