My first experience with the .25-06 took place 20 years ago, on a "cull" hunt in Ireland, of all places. It was hosted by Heym Firearms of Germany on the estate of the last living British earl in Ireland. The head guide was a well-off plumber named Liam Kenehan, who leased the deer-hunting rights from the earl.

I ended up using Liam's straight-pull Heym .25-06, which he'd used to take fallow and red deer out to 600 yards, thanks to the multi-dot Schmidt & Bender on the rifle. I didn't shoot anything that far, but did take one female fallow deer at 450--which ain't all that far these days, but was the longest shot encountered during the cull.

That was using Remington 120-grain Core-Lokt factory ammo, which is what Liam had used to take a big red stag at 600. But as we all know now, that's a totally inappropriate choice of not just cartridge but ammo and bullet. Though will note that central Ireland is less windy than many places, including the Campfire....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck