Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Obsolete as a term can mean a few things.

One meaning is "no longer useful". I think everyone hear agrees the 25-06 is still plenty useful.

Another would be "outmoded in design". There is no question that the 6.5mm Creedoor is a better design so yes the 25-06 is obsolete in that defintion.

10 years from now there won't be any comercial rifles chambered for the 25-06 and factory ammo will be scarce as hens teeth. That does not mean the 25-06 is not still useful then for someone who makes their own ammo but if you need to buy store bought ammo a 25-06 is not going to be very useful.

Twist rate and throat design are what holds the 25-06 back. If you get a custom barrel and custom throat then it's not a 25-06 anymore.

Times move on and lots of 250-3000 Savage rifle owners hated it when the 25-06 made that cartridge "obsolete". That's pretty close to the 6.5mm Creedmoor but for a few 0.001s of bullet diameter and twist/throat design.

All this.

I know it's hard for most to relate here, but many of these sorts of discussions and articles are centered around and driven by availability of FACTORY AMMO.
And if the company that put the 25.06 into the world no longer deems it worthwhile, that ought to be a smoke signal that all can see from about any distance.

Fully capable/useful? Heck yes.
Supported? No.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D