Originally Posted by ingwe
As a teenager a pal and I were floating down the Chatahoochee river and running jugs. Well, the boat had no motor and we floated too far. Found an abandoned dock, that actually had a light on it and spent the night trying to sleep, occasional interruptions by a Moccasin swimming by, and once a batch of apparently hungry wild dogs tried to work their way down the dock. Couldnt sleep so we sat and caught frying size catfish, which were so ravenous we literally used bare hooks. Cooked a couple up without a frying pan and ate them. It wasn't cold or miserable, and it was actually a good experience.When dawn broke we managed to gather up our jugs and get back home. I remember it for two reasons 1) my parents never wondered or worried where I was or what I was doing and 2)when I got home I set a personal best record for sleeping-23 hours straight.

Been a few for me, but the one that still rankles is when my wife and I were out on a local property (Bagomba) just out of town in winter shooting rabbits for coin.
We had a good load of some eighty pair from memory when I drove through some irrigation runoff that was hidden in the long grass. The loaded 2.8 litre diesel Hilux hit the diffs as soon as I heard the water.
That was early in the night and I spent the next few hours digging to no avail...then I came up with the bright idea of jacking the truck up and piling rabbit carcases under it. If you are ever in this predicament do yourself a favour and DON'T do this...the wheels chewed through those carcases like a mincer and left me sitting in a great big wet hole filled with a mud/mince concoction.
We were stuck so my wife had a sleep in the front of the vehicle and I lay on the back amongst the mud, blood, mince. During the night it decided to rain and when the sun hit the horizon every damned blowfly in the district found us.
A couple of very uncomfortable hours later the cocky drove up in his Landcruiser and pulled us out...THEN was rude enough to just drive back through the bloody great mess we had been stuck in, and didn't even look like getting stuck.

Last time my wife came out on the Rabbits with me, and I cannot say I blame her.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.