I thought this addressed some of the points brought up in this thread. Nobody likes a self righteous scold and no one really likes a bad drunk. IMO some people should not drink a drop ever because they turn into jerks quickly.

My family had people in it that I just didn't want anything to do with when they even started drinking. I guess it's some sort of brain chemistry thing?

I was pretty careful about my own drinking. I was also a pretty messy bachelor. When the returnable bottle fee hit I just started tossing empty beer bottles under the sink until the door would not close then load up a contractor size garbage bag and walked into the store looking like Santa with a full bag out for delivery.

I was living in a small town where people knew me and I ended up feeling uneasy counting out 100 plus bottles at the redemption desk. I decided that was probably not a good sign and quit a little over 38 years ago. Given my family back ground that was probably a wise choice for me.

Apologies if the "God molding me" part of the essay is off putting for some. I thought it was well enough written to post for the Campfire's consideration. Thoughts?

Please don't feed the trolls!