Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
My lovely bride would have probably been this kids PO if we were still in ID. My FIL is a retired professor and volunteered taught one of the tech programs at the HS to try and get the kids some marketable skills once they're out of High School. The problem is the kids get a big ass check from the Rez once they're 18 and instead of using it to better themselves, they go out and buy a new car/truck or use it for drugs, etc. Ft. Hall used to have the highest murder rate in the nation. I've lost track of that - maybe they still do. These reservations are an absolute mess. Too much free sheit and excess free time leads to drugs and alcohol abuse and all the accompanying problems. But it's all the white man's fault. We need to solve it by not giving them guilt money and let them stand on their own.

You pay blacks to stay in the ghetto and you pay Indians to stay on the rez.

Just saying......stand on their own might mean right next door to you.

You're probably right to a certain extent Jimbo. My MIL took one destitute indian boy in and raised him as one of her own. Problem is by then he was kinda screwed up already. Hard to reverse 14 years of damage and abuse. Aunt & Uncle adopted a girl and boy off the Rez. Those two turned out pretty well but they were just babies then. These days, they would crucify any white person doing this as robbing them of their 'heritage'. One time on the rez an indian girl come in bawling her eyes out. Her two year old brother had been 'lost'. The parents liked to drink and party and would go bury the littlest kids in a hole up to their neck so they wouldn't wander off, then go dig them out the next day (or two) when they were somewhat coherent again. The government check rolled in and they buried the boy as described. But this time they couldn't remember where they buried him! A search party was quickly organized and the boy was found later that day barely alive after being out there for 48 hrs. You can't do DFS can't do anything about it either - Rez land! Feds even passed a law to ensure Rez abuse can go about unabated. That's a hell of a way to 'raise' kids. I can go on all day about some of the crazy rez stuff that I know about. It's a messed up place and culture.
Holy chit! The evil some people are capable of never ceases to amaze