Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
My lovely bride would have probably been this kids PO if we were still in ID. My FIL is a retired professor and volunteered taught one of the tech programs at the HS to try and get the kids some marketable skills once they're out of High School. The problem is the kids get a big ass check from the Rez once they're 18 and instead of using it to better themselves, they go out and buy a new car/truck or use it for drugs, etc. Ft. Hall used to have the highest murder rate in the nation. I've lost track of that - maybe they still do. These reservations are an absolute mess. Too much free sheit and excess free time leads to drugs and alcohol abuse and all the accompanying problems. But it's all the white man's fault. We need to solve it by not giving them guilt money and let them stand on their own.

You pay blacks to stay in the ghetto and you pay Indians to stay on the rez.

Just saying......stand on their own might mean right next door to you.

They are identical environments with geographically different locations.
Race has nothing to do with what the freebie disease causes. I do not know the “acceptable” solution but I do know the cancer grows.

Osky

But what if race does have something to do with it?

It doesn't seem to matter much with drugs however.

We see the same here Jim but our percentage of non-whites is pretty low. The whites on the dole are generally the problem folks. Inof I just looked up says 2022 we're about 75.3% white, 16% or so Hispanic and only about 3% Native American. Blacks are less than 1%. So, if race entered into it, we'd be mostly crime free but we tend to come out about average with the rest of the US.

Now, I will admit, after being here for a few years now, I recognize some of the family names from the two Rezs we have in the county and the one Rancheria. And they seem to have certain members causing trouble on a fairly regular basis. Then again, I recognize some of the white names that are always showing up on the booking report too.

Just like a good work ethic seems to be something that can be instilled in kids, a life on the dole and a life of crime seems to be generational around here for some families. I've also seen it work out, not just here but other places I've lived including on a Rez, that a kid can say "F it, I don't want anything to do with the way I was raised" and they become examples for their kids and others. (wish it happened more often)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?