Crow hunter/ Perhaps you could clarify how the ones that tout the case head expansion <BR>measuring are misinformed, or one could get hurt.I just got off the phone with both RCBS<BR>and the Speer tecnical support, to confirm if<BR>they still use this method. They use it for <BR>nonstandard calibers still. Naturally ,some<BR>common sense has to apply when using this method, in example you should only use new or once fired brass that you have fired, so you know it is only once fired. There are variables in brass from lot to lot just like<BR>anything else.<BR>Are we to presume a company such as Speer, who publishes load data is misinforming the public? Or PO Ackley, who spent a life time developing and testing firearms and loads is misinforming the public by offering this info in his books? <BR>If the info about case head expansion is inaccurate, then how are we to believe the published maximums in the load manuals?<BR>What alternatives do you suggest? Judging pressure by visual signs is much less accurate, and IMO ,simply guessing.<BR>Is it coincidence, that since I started measuring case head expansion, I've never had<BR>a sticky bolt, ejector mark, or exsessively <BR>flattened primers? <BR>Granted ,I use a chronograph in conjunction,<BR>along with a little fear of an accident to help keep loads modest and safe.<BR>Speaking of accidents, Mr Howell related an<BR>unfortunate mishap, that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but could quite easily happen to anyone if distracted while reloading. This accident however,had nothing to do with loads<BR>developed by measuring case head expansion.This would have happened using the<BR>most sophisticated pressure test equipment <BR>The accident happened by using the right amount of the wrong powder. The question was then asked about what the alternative's were, but this question was unanswered.<BR>I was taught this method by an old friend, who has been reloading, shooting benchrest, developing and building wildcat rifles , and<BR>hunting for over fifty years. He has a gun lathe on the main floor of his home. In other words he's an enthusiast. Has he misinformed me, by teaching me these methods?<BR>I do read these pages to become more informed, so any real examples of accidents<BR>caused by these loading practices, would be more than welcome. Maybe you could include a<BR>safer alternative to this method which does not include eyeballing the cases, and guessing to decide when you have reached a safe load? This of course does not include rushing out and purchsing pressure testing equipment ,which I'm sure is out of reach to the average handloader. If this cannot be done, than I would suggest sir, that it is you who are misinformed.