Canon,<P>I'll refer you to Ken Howell's post on this forum under the thread "measuring case head expansion" of April 8, 2001, 9:27 A.M. Mr. Howell explains the dangers of this method far better than I ever could and certainly you would agree that he is an acknowledged expert in ballistics. In particular I'd like to quote his closing statement "no micrometer is a reliable pressure gauge". In his post he summarizes all the reasons that relying upon this method is a really bad idea. One thing that I can agree with in your reply is the need to apply common sense to the equation. There are many different indicators we can use to tell us that a load may be producing more pressure than we expect. I've tried the case head expansion method and have not seen any indication that it gives any sort of useful data. In fact, Mr. Howell and OKShooter, both of which have access to pressure testing equipment, have both essentially stated on this and other boards that the case expansion method is useless in determining pressure. I'm sure your friend that has been reloading for fifty years and taught you his methods was a gifted man full of useful information but that doesn't justify stubbornly refusing to admit that you're wrong in the face of evidence. If I offended your sacred cow then I apologize, but I feel no remorse in speaking out against what I feel is a meaningless indicator of pressure which if relied upon could result in disaster to a handloader.<p>[This message has been edited by Crow hunter (edited April 16, 2001).]