Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John Kingsley-Heath was a long time African PH who among other things specialized in both hunting leopards himself and guiding leopard hunters thought the .243 Winchester was the perfect leopard round. He had experience on hundreds of 'em in at least five different countries. It not only knocked the snot out of them with 100-grain bullets put in the right place, but did less damage to the hide (the "trophy" with leopards).

Have mentioned this before on the Campfire, but of course a bunch of other members (many of whom had never seen a wild leopard) objected to his opinion, saying the .243 was too light.

Have never had any desire to kill a leopard, but was along when a companion shot one out of the typical baited tree with a .300 Winchester Magnum. It dropped with a thud, but after landing took off and we never found it--apparently because he shot it in the shoulder, which was stretched forward to reach the bait, and the vitals on leopards (and other cats) are farther back than on much other big game. (I was asked by the PH help follow it up in the dark, which was interesting. The PH said he would rather follow one in the dark than during daylight, because you can see the eyes in a powerful flashlight in the dark, and during daylight you usually can't see a leopard until it charges at close range.)

i've never shot a leopard, but count me in on the 'I object" crowd. No doubt (obviously) a leopard will die with a 243 (all cats are affected by high velocity) but a 30 cal will hit with even more authority plus you can use it on larger plains game. As to the AB in a 308, of course it will work and work well. Leopards are shot at close ranges, usually less than sixty yards and that 308 will hammer him well and open up. Now what would I use in a 308 for leopard? Hornady Interlock

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/21/24.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”