Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Hope so, I do satisfy the criteria of being curious. Probably best to sight in zero at 100 yards rather than the usual 3 inches high at 100 yards, unless anyone thinks this is not a good idea.

In my experience, on baited leopard hunts the PH advises sighting-in at whatever range it is from the blind to the bait, which is usually 50 yards maximum. A sight-in 2" high at 100 yards will usually be dead-on around 35 yards, but it also depends on the specific ammunition and scope-height above the bore.

The vast majority of all African game is shot at 150 yards or less, probably 90%+ of all game. With that in mind any zero from dead-on at 100 to 2” high at 100 will work great for leopard and also anything else you might hunt. Just know exactly where your rifle hits at 50 yards and you’ll be fine. The 3 leopards I’ve shot were at 40, 25 & 47 yards and my rifle was zeroed at 2” high on the first two, but zeroed dead-on at 100 on the last one. I think an illuminated reticle like Leupold’s Firedot is more important than the distance your scope is zeroed. That bright red dot makes precise shooting easy, especially in low light.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 03/25/24.