Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks MD, you have a definite point, last evening at dusk i took the 270 out back and had a seat on the firewood trailer, looked at some 150 weight red and black calves at 200 and 245 yards, i could have pulled off the shots in the open field with receiver peep, the calves in the fencerow cedars and shadows would have neen NO shot at all with iron sights.

I turned the little Burris up to 5X, could see plain as day, damn sure something to think about, firearms safety of course first and foremost, but, we are afterall out on any hunt there to "kill" smile

I tried using my grandfathers big bore 94 375 Winchester, one day, and an early morning buck eluded me. I tried to find him in the shadows, looking through the peep sight. No bueno. Never took that rifle hunting again!!!! That was in the dark forests of Oregon. I took the m71, I sold to you, out a few times. The factory bolt peep on that one isn't too bad. Never had a shot with that rifle, and probably a good thing. I much prefer scopes for hunting, because my left eye (dominant eye) sucks. If I had to shoot an iron sighted rifle right handed, It wouldn't bother me, but it doesn't feel as natural. I like being able to pull up, get an instant sight picture, and pull the trigger when the time is right. I have faith you will get it figured out buddy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA