It is typical of any competitive shooting discipline, to try and get an edge on another shooter to win. Rules got more complicated as people tried to make it more to their liking and modify the sport accordingly.

The first match I shot, was open to any western lever action or single action revolver, and shotguns with hammers. There was both a minimum and maximum power factor so that even a 30-30 or similar rifle would be appropriate when it was below the maximum power factor to be safe and not destroy targets. The minimum power factor made it harder for gamers, because the revolver was supposed to mimic what a real western revolver would have been and recoil was a big part of those guns.

The targets were steel and had to be knocked down to count as a hit, and all the light loaded 38’s and 32’s wouldn’t work so it did keep a more realistic aspect of the guns and what they traditionally were. Scenerios were designed around possible shooting situations and other activities were implemented to make it a fun stage and add to the reality. Before long, rules changed due to the gamer mentality and the gun became a modified tool and not so much of a real western gun.

Soon it became a match of big targets at close range so they could be hit easily and accuracy was not important. Then it morphed into dump targets and anything that facilitated fast shooting with little focus on aiming and shooting a gun like you might have in the 1880’s.

Reverse pawls, stroke kits and many other modifications became allowed and the traditional aspect of the shoot was lost to competitive advantages, so it began to appeal to more specialized shooters than history buffs that just liked guns of the old west.

2008 changed America, and the interest as well as affordability of the sport, saw a decline that hasn’t recovered. Age as well, has contributed to the decline. We still have shoots locally, but not as many and not that well attended anymore. I love the guns and shoot all original guns because I like the history and the role those guns played in the west and growing up watching western films.

It is easier to not go the older I get, but it is still fun for both my wife and myself to shoot. Winning was what changed the game, shooting is what kept it going…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]