Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
Big mistake on 1-8 twist but you'll learn from your mistake.

Quote; Definitely a different animal... flat shooting long ranger. : Unquote Heavy bullets do not shoot flatter than a faster and lighter bullet. Actually, they drop like a rock. In real world most shots at live targets are taken at less than 400 yards so no need for a heavier bullet less you are shooting at game too large for what your cartridge was designed for.

TA:

not intending to start an argument, but I do have to ask from campfire experience over 20 years, have you ever shot a 22.250 with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist? We have had people who post and do NOT have any hands on experience, but do still offer an opinion that differs from those who have shot something that is getting questioned.

It pains me to agree with Stumpy for once, but without his input I've still found out the same thing he did. A heavier bullet is more aerodynamic in 22 caliber, and the heavier weight also has more sectional density which helps it fly further ( and flatter) even if having a slower MV starting it out.

The same thing is true for the 223. With bolt action 223s, and a longer throat and a faster twist to stabilize the heavier bullet with more sectional density, it will easily double the range potential of a 223. Easily proved this in bolt 223s, shooting 68, 69, 73, 75 and 80 grain bullets. A 40 grain bullet out of a 223 at 4000 fps, still runs out of gas way before a 80 grain Match bullet or A Max will, leaving the Muzzle at 2750 to 2850 fps. Even moreso, with a 22.250 leaving the muzzle at 4150 to 4250 fps.. vs a 80 grainer leaving the Muzzle at 3350s fps.

Just passing this on. Let your conscience be your Guide. I will not take offense if you don't agree with me. We all have a right to our opinions. But I do submit mine is based on experience, putting a lot of each end of the spectrum down range at distances out to 800 yds or more.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez