In the scenario above, pretty much any bullet would have had the same result. Destroyed meat. 99% of my deer hunting has been with core-lokt bullets. I have hunted and killed with: 30-30, 30-06, .300 sav. Only one year I hunted the 30-06 with NP's. That year is the ONLY year that I did not have a bang flop. First shot was a perfect broadside shot at 80 yds. The bullet entered the near shoulder and lodged into the far side shoulder. The buck went down with broken shoulders and 2 hit lungs, but still ran a bit more than 100 yards useing his neck as front legs. When I got to him he was still alive and has 50% of his strength but was jammed in heavy brush and could not move any more. I took a second shot, a neck shot, to end the story. Retrieved bullet pictured below! I guess you just never know what might happen!!

Mike...

[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<