I've not had any failures with any Remingtons, My only problem has been with the small pin that holds the boltface on my savage and the way it is nearly drilled in two to allow the firing pin to pass thru. Not over engineered by any standard, just stating facts as I have seen them in the rifles I have owned.The retaining pin is huge weak link in camming open a stuck case. In doing so it can and has broke in the past and may not allow proper lug engagement. These aren't stories I've read about or heard 2nd. hand,just facts I've seen on a particular rifle I own.
Not internet law written in stone, just personal information I've actually seen. Actually Remington bolts aren't "brazed on" , they are silver soldered at around 90000# tensile strengh(close to the strengh of the carbon steel used in the bolt body), whereas brazing equates to 45000-60000# maximum.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Now on I will stick to machined bolt lugs design-Remington, Winchester,Ruger, Cooper ......

The Remmy 700/721 type bolts are not "machined bolt lugs design"!

Those Remmy bolt bodies are three piece with the bolt handle brazed on and yes the bolt lug section brazed on! Look at your Remmy bolt body a half inch behind the lugs and you will see a groove there where the bolt body is brazed onto the bolt lugs!

mad

Last edited by ChuckKY; 01/02/09.