John, I read the letters of reference in the latest Rifle and my immediate, visceral reaction was that the gentleman from Connecticut was a fine example of Eastern, liberal, over-educated(as compared to the amount of common sense possessed), priggish, effete snobbery. After due deliberation, I concluded that my initial impression was correct.
While I have always been partial to "aficionado", I find myself using the term "serious shooter" to indicate someone who uses, works with, and thinks about firearms as much as you or I or any number of fellow members of the Campfire do. While I have always found the term "gun nut" distasteful(because it is almost always used by someone who knows nothing about firearms and is said in a derogatory manner), I have long thought that your coined phrase of "rifle loony" to be a light-hearted, ironically amusing and sheepishly self-deprecating twist on the unpleasant "gun nut".
As a long time reader, I suggest that you write in a manner that YOU find appealing. Trust your own judgement; this has worked for many years. Cheers, RS