I have two Hawkeyes, and haven't done any modifications to either.

My 338 Fed is a regular stainless/synthetic model which I picked up second-hand for a very good price. This has become my go-to rifle for California (hogs & deer) because it is one of my few rifles which will shoot factory copper ammo with good accuracy (non-lead ammo is now mandated across large parts of the state). It shoots 185 grain Federal Triple Shock load sub-MOA when I do my part.

My 338 RCM is the stainless/synthetic Ruger Hawkeye Compact Magnum, with a 20-in barrel and fixed sights. It is lighter and handier than the standard Hawkeye. Initial groups were a bit loose, but the rifle seems to be shooting in nicely now. I also had some scope issues which may have contributed to large groups initially, but that has been remedied by switching to a Leupold.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with these rifles (most of my other rifles are Weatherby, Savage, etc.) and I'm exceptionally happy with the rifle/ammunition performance of the 338 RCM on that big island bear. Recoil may be a bit much in this light rifle for those who are recoil intolerant, but anyone who has any experience with 30-06 or heavier calibers shouldn't have any issues.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.