I ordered from Bonitz, and those were dealer prices. A stocking dealer buying in bulk would be a bit less. The Hornady ammo stocked as 338RCM 225GR SP is priced the same as the 225GR SST, they both run $29 a box for a full case. I thought it was maybe a misprint, but it does carry a different product number. The guns and ammo goes through these guys before you see it on the shelves at a dealer, so I had thought maybe this was a newer product than the SSTs. I hate plastic point bullets which is why I ordered the SPs. I'll find out what it is when it gets here.

I'm sure the rifle will do fine based on my past experience with the Ruger 350RM and the 375Ruger. I'll use a scope for load development, but I doubt the rifle will wear one while hunting as I've become spoiled hunting big game with a longbow. I'm sure the 338RCM will do fine on the biggest wild boars found anywhere on earth as I've cleanly killed two large boars that both had heavy shields and topped 300pounds using nothing but a straight limbed longbow shooting a heavy arrow with a two blade broadhead. I got complete penetration on both boar with my lowly longbow so I'm sure the 338RCM would do so easily:)

For me, I like compact rifles that are versitile and have broad brushed applications, be it antelope, bear, caribou, deer, elk, hogs, moose, etc., etc. I like a rough duty rifle that I don't mind sticking in the bottom of a canoe or boat. I like a strong claw extractor and a good safety. I think this 338RCM in a compact Hawkeye will fit this bill nicely. It may not have the advantage on the upper end with a 250GR bullet as does the Ruger in 350RM (though I'll see for myself), but I'm like you as I'd probably grab a bigger rifle if I needed serious top end stopping power on the biggest dangerous game.

I'll let you know what I think when the rifle comes in.

Best

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood