My 2 cents is a bit off topic from the original posted questions, but it appears this thread has already run a bit off course.

I've owned three 350RMs, a custom, a Remington 673, and a stainless short action MkII in the factory all-weather stock. All three were good rifles, but hands down the Ruger was my favorite and in my opinion the best platform for the cartridge. The magazine was perfect size for handloads using heavy Nosler PTs, and the feeding and accuracy was superb. Even with the factory 200grain Core-Lockt fodder, the accuracy with the Ruger was outstanding. In addition, IIRC, one of the largest bears taken out of Shoemaker's camp was with the 350RM. I cannot say anything bad about that cartridge, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that vintage Ruger MkII.

With that said, as a longtime H&H fan owning many rifles chambered for 375H&H, I also own a 375Ruger "African" model that I've restocked. I find this rifle and cartridge to be the equal if not superior to any 375H&H I've ever handled. Again, I cannot say anything bad about the cartridge, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that vintage Ruger Hawkeye. Because I think the 375Ruger design and base cartridge is so outstanding, I became interested in the 338RCM. I know nothing about the 338FED, but I do like the 338-06. The 338RCM appears to fit into this short barrel group well and when combined with the Hawkeye rifle, the overall package seemed worthy of my purchase. As of yesterday, a brand new rifle cost me $604, a case of ammo cost me $29 per box, and a set of dies cost me $26. The rifle, ammo, and dies are readily available and delivery time is a matter of days. I think that is an outstanding value in todays market and I give a thumbs up to the boys at Ruger and Hornady. When it comes in, I'll give it an honest try and see how well it stands up to the 350RM. I suspect that it will be every bit the equal if not a bit better as there are so many great .33 bullets available today which should give the 338RCM an advantage in versatility. The beltless Ruger case certainly has advantages.

I do have one question though, I ordered straight from a warehouse that stocked the standard Hornady 225gr SST ammo, but they also stocked a Hornady 338RCM 225GR SP ammo, of which I ordered a case. Is this something new from Hornady compared to the SST??

Thanks

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood