Originally Posted by nickelstick
The idea that a ruger is equal to a sako is well..........BUll. This rifel has to shoot 5 rounds inside 1" or it isn't shipped! Sako action is famous for greased glass smooth (always, every rifle). Couple that with caliber selection (not rugers pet cartridge). (Yes the 375 H&H is one of my great loves)
p.s I will always pay what ever it costs to have the right rifle! When it comes to hunting griz the "kodiak" is the right rifle. My 1600$ +.02
..........Nickelstick!.....First, I never implied on this thread that the Ruger Alaskan was equal to the Sako Kodiak as far as action smoothness, or in any other areas of possible manufacturing refinement.

Secondly! While the Sako Kodiak has some refinements over the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan, I did previously state that these extra refinements (as a personal observation and opinion after handling the Kodiak), are not worth double the price or more. And I`ll stand by that assessment!

While the action of the Sako Kodiak is quite smooth (granted), my Alaskan`s M77 action smoothness, isn`t reeeeally too far behind the Sako in that particular dept, especially after its been worked hundreds and hundreds of times.

And yes, Sako has certain accuracy standards or they don`t ship, such as 5 shots at 1" or less and that is great and all well and good! While I haven`t as of yet, fired a 5 shot group with my Ruger Alaskan, I have fired quite a number of 3 shot groups with reloads.

After much experimentation, my best 3 shots groupings, using specific charges of either RL15 or H4350 along with the Nosler 260 gr A/Bs (combos which my Alaskan seems to love and after some COAL adjustments), do average an inch (OD) and slightly less in some groupings depending on the charge.

Whether a 375 rifle averages 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" at the outside for 3 to 5 shot groupings, averages moa, or sub-moa for 3 to 5 shot groupings and given the same hunting distances for the first shot, it will make no difference whatsoever between any success or failure hunting any large big game that is normally hunted with a 375. It won`t matter whether the end result comes by a $821 Ruger Alaskan or a $1600 to $1800 Sako Kodiak! The end result, whether hunting a big grizzly, a moose, a bison, or an African caped buffalo, will still be the same;;;;very DEAD assuming the hunter does his part.

1" or less for 5 shot groupings are great for the range. But I have yet to tape or secure a paper target on any of my kills prior to the first shot in the pursuit of seeking tight groups while on a hunt.

Like I stated before but with a slight addition this time, I`ll state this...Setting aside the certain refinements of the Kodiak over the Ruger, of which granted there are; given the same hunting circumstances, the same animals, the same shooting distances, the same weather conditions or given the same of anything else for that matter that you can think of, there is absolutely nothing that a $1600 to $1800 .375 H&H Kodiak can do, that a (what I paid) $821 .375 Ruger Alaskan cannot do!

If there is in the case of these two rifles,, it won`t be the fault of either rifle, but instead the fault of the hunter himself.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger