Originally Posted by atkinson
The 9.3x57 or 9x57 are balistic twins to the proven .358 Win. and thats high praise...

The 9.3x62 is darn close to a balistic twin of the 375 H&H in that I can get 2400 FPS with a 320 gr. Woodleigh in the 9.3 or 2500 FPS a 300 gr. Woodleigh in my .375 H&H, based on the way I load them both. That boils down to a 20 grs. more in the 9.3 or 100 FPS more in the 375, a pretty fair trade off to equal IMO...

I quite agree with Bro' Atkinson on this issue. In the last 20 years, I have owned 4; 9.3x62's, 2; 9.3x57's, and 3; 9.3x74R's. (And still own all but 3 of them...) And I like them all. That said, there isn't anything on this continent that I wouldn't tackle with a 9.3x57. In a recent conversation with writer and gunsmith: Dieter Sturm he opined exactly the same thing.

The 9.3x62 does have a slight advantage in availability of factory ammo, but to a handloader it's a non issue. I have never formed brass, but I have made LOTS of 9x57 from 8x57 and it's no issue at all. Another .008" bullet diameter will likely not be noticed. smile

I find that all too often folks in this august group, tend to look at a given cartridge as what's it's NOT, rather than what it IS!

But then the general tendency these days is: Bigger scopes, longer barrels, and larger powder capacity. Sadly many fine things go often overlooked in the quest to best someone else. grin

Me go now...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"