Originally Posted by NFG
Ditto for Mule Deer. This thread is getting way of in the boonies.

Sounds like we're still discussing 9.3x57 vs. x62 to me?

Originally Posted by NFG
Goto Steves Pages for some load info... http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Thank you for this reference. It has a load for the x57 that I don't think I'd seen.

Originally Posted by NFG
Surf the web...I came across quite a bit of data on ALL the 9.3x??

You're right, however I'd love to get some data on domestic powders... particularly those that my other rifles love... there isn't alot of that around, so I hoped that someone who had experience with the cartridge here might have insight.

Originally Posted by NFG
The case capacity of the 9.3 or ANY of the x57 cases is roughly 62 to 65 gr H2O...the x63 is 72-76 gr H2O....about 16-17%...ANY reloading data for ANY caliber, for cases of 62-65 gr H2O CASE CAPACITY can be used, AT THE LOWER END, to develop reloading data for the x57, it doesn't matter the actual case LENGTH. It is the INTERNAL volume of the case that determines the reloading capacity within a reasonable range.

You could start with reloading data for a 308 size case as it has similar case capacity...the 358 Win or 338 Fed...and there is a 9.3 x 358(308) and a 375x308/358 if you dig deep enough...or use 8x57 or 9x57 data for heavy bullets and start on the low end of the scale and work up...

OR...because the x57 case is about 17% less case capacity than the X62 You can use ANY x62 data for individual bullet by weight, straight across the board, by REDUCING the charge weight by 20-22% and be at a beginning load for the 9.3x57.

Never could figue out why we complicate things other than the penchant for men to always go one-up on each other.

Compared to finding lab-tested or at least trusted-peer-tested loads that I can reduce and start back up to, what you suggest above seems more complicated, but likely to be exactly what I end up doing, so I do appreciate the step-by-step description.

Originally Posted by NFG
Maybe this info will help somewhat...but I'm guessing it will only serve to keep the pot stirred up.

Yep. Likely the latter. That is ok, cuz this is a discussion board. I for one appreciate the opportunity to interact with other loonies who obsess over this minutae!

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll likely put them to use.

The best advise and data I've gotten have come from Steelhead concerning RL-15 and its ballistic similarities to a particular European powder that provides a safe starting point, so I'll run w/ that.