Originally Posted by TBurroughs
I am beginning to plan my next rifle, and want a short lightweight (i.e. 7 1/2lbs. all up) "brush" gun, and am really having trouble deciding between the 358 win or the 350 rem mag. I am by no means recoil shy, but want a gun that I can readily move onto a second or third shot with, and nobody I know has a 350 rem mag. So onto the big question, which caliber is preferred by those of you who have hunted with both?

I see your in Vermont. So my question is, what are you planning to hunt with it?

If deer and black bear only, or even an off chance moose, I can't see needing the extra powder capacity of the .350 mag.

While neither are ideal cross canyon strafing tools. Both are stellar woods rounds and as good as the man behind the rifle to 300 yards or so.

The .358 case is dirt simple and inexpensive to make. Most dies have tapered expander balls to go from .30 to .35 in one simple pass.
IMO, the Winchester offering has plenty of power with less recoil and muzzle blast than the .350 and possibly one more round in the magazine.

I used the Sierra 225gr bt for practice and deer size game and the 225gr Nosler partition for elk.

Here she is at work. A SAKO rebore carbine w/20" tube.
[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....