Originally Posted by fog
ok guys whats the main difference besides velocity of these two catridges
i am goin to buy one or the other i like the remington model 7 xcr in 300 wsm and i love the tikka in either
or do i buy a used model 70 for the moeny and spend more on the trip or the glass to go on it
im not going to be able to go elk hunting for a couple years and prob wont get to go very often
i have a 25-06 and that will shoot anything i want here in illinois
thanks
................The 300 WSM will get ya better velocity, more down range energy, a shorter action and more recoil to go with it. However if you are a reloader, the 300 WSM can be re-loaded down to `06 levels.

Regardless of the downrange energy # differences on paper, the old `06 will do anything on game for use in Illinois that the 300 WSM can do.

On the other hand, if one were consistently hunting out here in the western states in wide open plains country, the 300 WSM imo would make the better choice because of its flatter trajectory.

Get the rifle and cartridge that best suites your hunting needs for game, hunting style, and terrain the "majority" of the time.

Although I own a 300 WSM, for Illinois the majority of the time, the `06 is the better choice.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger