I have read most of the post above and from a recoil shy individual I will stay away from the magnum family.

I missed the largest Mule Deer I have had a chance to shoot because of anticipating the recoil of the 300 Magnum. I shoot a lot of shotgun and rifle over the year and I have always been one who anticipates heavy recoil and I can't get passed it. I shoot the 30-06 and the 260 with results that have never been disappointing or any problem with accuracy from either.

I respect a person that can handle a magnum's recoil and muzzle blast as I can't. I am a rather large individual and it doesn't make me feel well that I can't handle it mentally. I know physically I have no problem. I know that in a hunting situation there is more than likely only a handful of shots at best, but I know that it is going to kick the daylights out of me and my pea brain says oh no you don't you aren't going to stay in the rifle and get kicked.

I am not sure that the difference between the two would be noticed by what you are shooting but perhaps at the outside distance the WSM might have a tad more oomph but how many times would that be in a year of hunting? Most times I can get a little closer if I think that I am on the back edge of my distance for either of the 30-06 or 260.

I have better accuracy with either of these as I tend to stay put on the rifle.

Just my experience and perhaps yours is different. I would weigh your pros and cons of each and then if you are still undecided toss a coin and don't look back.

Trust everyone but brand all your calves.