Originally Posted by boomtube
"

With apoligies to their fans, magnums have always had their greatest appeal to those who study ballistics charts but have little hunting experience or faith in their shooting skill...

...if weight is an issue,just carry one less Snicker's bar and leave the rifle alone!

BUT, bottom line, the younger user is unlikely to get "magnumitis" outta his head until he gets/uses one so he may as well get it done and over with.

Boomtube? Squawkbox is more like it! I had an uncle who, before he pasted away, hunted all over the country. His rifle of choice was a .300 Weatherby Magnum. He used this over his 30/40 Krag and BOTH of his 30.06s. I asked him one time why he chose that rifle all the time? I said "isn't it a little overkill"? His reply was simple. He said "because I shoot it so well. That rifle fits me like a glove so well I can shoot it from any position with accuracy & confidence". He assured me that the 30.06 was a fine caliber because it "helped bring his ass home" from Germany in WW2. He'd say with a wink, "trust me, the .06 will do a fine job killin'". Yet, he chose his Weatherby. I guarantee he never saw a ballistics chart in his life.

What if someone is a diabetic & has a bad back? He may need a Snickers bar AND a lighter rifle! DUH!

As for younger users getting "magnumitis", please! Young hunters tend to base their opinions towards rifles, calibers, etc. from what they see US do or say. My son has been exposed to my 6.5x55, 30.06, .308, .300WSM, .45 & .50 cal muzzy's, .12ga, his .410 & .20ga and a few others. I've explained the differances, why some were magnums & some were not & had him do research on his own. He told me for his first rifle he wouldn't mind a 7mm.08 or a .260rem or a .270win. OK then! He was 17 when he told me this. WE'RE molding the hunters of tomorrow. They get things like "magnumitis" if they're guided that way or not exposed to more than that.

"nough said

NRA Lifetime Member