I keep hearing how the idea of a 25-yard zero is all wrong. I say BULLSHIT!!

No, it isn't the best method and every rifle should be checked at longer ranges to verify the sights, but the 25-yard method IS a very good start. For most rifles (with a scope mounted 1.5-2" above the bore) that shoot in the 2000-3000 fps range, a 25-yard zero will be pretty close to the best "point-blank" zero that everyone seems to like.

If a rifle is sighted in EXACTLY at 25 yards....you won't be too far off at any range up to 300-350 yards. The real key is that staement EXACTLY. Very small diffrences at 25 yards will result in very significant misses at 200 yards (for example...a 1/4" "miss" at 25 yards will be a 2"...or more..."miss" at 200 yards). That's why you should verify your sight-in at longer ranges.

However, a 25 yard zero is a VERY good method of getting the rifle close before exspending a lot of ammo at longer ranges sighting in and is an EXCELLENT way to check your sights in the field. Fire a single round in camp at 25 yards and know that if you are dead-on at that range....and you can be sure that you won't be too far off a at longer ranges.

The real key is that statement of EXACTLY. You can't be "close" at such short range.....you must be EXACT. The 25-yard method is not flawed.....it's the shooter that must be right.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know