SCI does not allow helicopter hunting since it violates their policy of fair chase. Recently a Virginia booking agency was charged by US F&G because some of his hunters allegedly used helicopters. My understanding is that bringing any big game trophy back into the US taken with a helicopter may result in charges from F&G. This is true even if the use of the helicopter was legal in the country hunted. I am told Russian hunts frequently use helicopters to allow guided hunters an easy shot. I would suppose using a helicopter to access a mountain in NZ & then hunting on foot would be legal. Several of my friends used this method to hunt Thar after being unsuccessful climbing mountains for several days. Despite using a helicopter to get to the top of the mountain one was unsuccessful, one shoot a Thar the first day, & the third took three days. I know the use of the helicopter added a lot of cost to the hunt. I don't think most American hunters would want to actually use a helicopter to shoot from, but a few will do anything to secure a good trophy. I do think predator control shooting from a helicopter would be a lot of fun. I have seen videos of shooters using helicopters to take hogs, coyotes, & wolves.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?