My heavy 44 load is 21.5 grs H110 & a 310 LBT slug, I've taken a lot of game with that load, nothing stays on its feet more than 3-4 seconds at the most. I've taken everything from moose, elk, bear & african game & lots of the "normal" stuff like deer, antelope & hogs with cast slugs, they never fail if placed properly. Wounded with a 458 is still wounded.
I sometimes wonder where people come up with the slow reacting stuff when referring to cast slugs, I've used them for over 40 years & they just flat work.......always! I've never recovered one so I always have two holes in the hide.
In a few weeks I'll be going after my 7th bear, my gun will be a 5 shot 480 Bisley & my bullet will be a wide flat nose LBT 370 grain slug at 1100 fps, I'll take any angle a bear gives me & I'll hear the bullet richochet off the ground when it exits.
This Wyoming fork horn buck was facing me at about 85 yds, straight on, the Keith style slug hit him in the center chest & exited just in front of the hind quarter, penetration was about 3 feet, the gun was a 5 1/2" Ruger Bisley with a 230 gr Keith at 1200 fps, he was down & out in 3-4 seconds. What would a rifle have done with a straight on shot?

[Linked Image]

Took this bull moose at 45 yds, offhand with a Ruger 480, 370 gr softnose cast, one shot & down in 20 yds, complete penetration, would a rifle have done better, what would a jacketed handgun slug have done?

[Linked Image]

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 03/16/10.