Cottonstalk, first off let me welcome you to the forum, I think we all missed doing that. If you go back & read what I said I mentioned the fact that I was just guessing about the shots from treestands, I'll follow up on that later. I think I also said that everyone should shoot what they have good luck with, correct me if I didn't say that.
I've also already said that the LBT style is a better game bullet but I haven't had a single failure with the Keith slugs...& I haven't. If a person has had one thats not a fair comparsion, now if they've had more than one it has to either be the bullet not working or the shooter not shooting. How do you know for a fact that you've made a fatal shot when you didn't recover the animal?
I don't have a thing against hunting from a treestand & didn't say I did, I was stationed in Texas for 4 years & if you're going to hunt in Texas you will hunt from some type of stand, either on the ground or in a tree.
So far on this thread there hasn't been anyone stepping up & saying they've had the Keith fail on them except for you & you didn't explain how you knew that so I can just guess that the deer was quite close & you seen the impact.
Now, what I said earlier about a person possibly missing the on side lung when hunting from a treestand. Last year a good friend called me & said he was swearing off cast bullets, now he is an excellent shot, I've shot with him before & he's very capable. OK, he's never killed a deer with a sixgun, he whacks a smallish whitetail from his elevated treestand, she runs off & he loses her. His gun was a 475 Linebaugh using a 440 gr cast LBT bullet, he swears he hit her solid, yet didn't find her. I'm only guessing, just like I said before, but I think because of the elevation above the deer that he hit that little soft spot above the lungs & below the spine, could be wrong but what do you think might have happened, he said the shot was about 15-18 yds.
Well I've tried to defend the old Keith slug, even though I've posted photo's of maybe 20 animals & could show another 50 or more I still don't see any respect for the Keith SWC & everyone's in love with the LBT, including me. I just don't get it with the Keith, old Elmer would be very disappointed after all these years that his "baby" doesn't work anymore.

This is Elmer Keith in about 1974 or 75, can't remember, we were in his trophy room out back of his house in Salmon, Idaho, the old Prophet is probably rolling over in his grave tonight from the pounding he took today.

[Linked Image]

Dick