I picked up a Buck "Folding Alpha Hunter" some years ago, and like it a lot. ATS-34 steel blade that takes an edge nicely, and holds it pretty well. About $60 bucks.

Also have a little fixed blade Gerber "Freeman" with a little 2.5" blade for finer work and caping that didn't cost a fortune, also about $60 as I recall, and I really like this little knife. Takes a better edge than the Buck, though it won't hold one as well it seems. But between the Buck Alpha hunter and the Gerber, I have no problems getting through field dressing and skinning an elk without re-sharpening.

For "gut hook duties" I picked up a Benchmade "rescue hook". Now that is a slick little "knife" that you never know is there until you want it. Unzips the critters great, and is tiny. Great little "single purpose" type of knife that ran about $25 bucks.

My favorite knife, however, is an old (oh, about 1k years old) stone knife I found while scouting for my son's elk hunt years ago, about 400 yards from where he eventually took his elk and first big game animal. Beautifully crafted knife that has since made the first cut on every big game critter we've taken. Sure wouldn't want to have to skin one out with it though! And have no idea how to put an edge on it!

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.