Originally Posted by 65BR
The 105 is better as the range grows, my 6BR #1 Ruger took 3 WT:

Head shot 45 yds
Spine approx. 200 yds
Double Lung - exited, 400, at edge of a field that had been LRF

First two bullets blew, hence why I shot where I did.

Bullet never exited a yote around 60 yds broadside, but DRT, as several other animals, never lost one hit.

No doubt many 243s are 10 twisted, not enough, some around 9 like 6mms, and MAY work, have to try, if not I'd use a custom 8. The 162 should work as far as most can hit vitals. It would be my bullet of choice in 7mm on deer, bou, and similar. Elk, I'd avoid bone.

DW, everytime I thought of a 6.5/06, it just seemed a tougher way to duplicate 270 speeds, and perhaps needing a longer bbl so I concur. No doubt fine bullet choices in the 6.5, but I'd likely run a 264 if I needed more than a 270, if not just a 270 WSM. For how I hunt, I just cannot justify the extra powder/blast and recoil, let alone bbl wear, esp. when considering a custom tube.

Stick, what's your 7/08 getting? 22"?

Moose, maybe I missed it, but is your CDS a 3-10?

We all gun the 105's in 243/243AI's. Have yet to see a distance(near or far),where it weren't amazing. My 1-10" 6AI stabilizes them fine,but 9" is where it's at.

The 162 is better today,than ever. I like to catch bone with them,whether at 7-08 launch speeds(2700fps) or 7WSM(3150fps).

Never was a .264" guy,but their projectiles are getting much more better,as BC's go. They useta just be long,of huge bearing surface and hard to drive,while wearing modest BC's. That's changing,which is good for them of the 6.5 Affliction.

The 105 and 162 rate building rifles around.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."