Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've bt/dt with a rifle that had been knocked off of zero..

We all have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless we're not man enough to admit it!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a new son-in-law that I turned into a pheasant loony this fall. He had never hunted anything before and the sum of his experience with a firearm was shooting a cattail with a high school pard's O/U. We did some practicing with a BPS I loaned him and we hit the fields.

Early on he missed a bird, and later 'clicked' an empty chamber on two beautifully pointed roosters over a span of 10-minutes. Both birds went over the hill. The guy was really disappointed in himself and I did my best to keep him upbeat and ready for the next one. We didn't see another bird for another hour or so and I could tell by looking at the guy he was still kicking his own butt.

The next bird I shot, and as the dog was making the retrieve I saw the guy wrasslin' with the pump on the BPS. I went over to check out the problem and saw a double feed with a fired hull in the chamber. He had 'clicked' that bird also. The BPS wasn't ejecting the fired hull and he had been poking the double feed back into the magazine tube all along. He didn't know any better and thought he was doing something incorrectly - short cycling or something. It turns out it was my fault and I doubted him when I shouldn't have. After wiping some strategically located crud out of the shotgun he was back in business and nailed his first pheasant that day.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost