Smithrjd,
you said it better than me.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "kick ass" in reference to the 6.5x55 beating the 260rem in the heavier bullet category, but it still stands. All day everyday, the 6.5 swede handles the heavier bullets better. thats its advantage, mild yet does better with the heavier bullets.

Long range shooting (bench rest) is an exercise in consistency. the more consistent you are the tighter groups you have and greater accuracy.
Flat trajectory is not of great importance in 1000 yard shooting. Consistency is!

in hunting where shots might be made and many different ranges, flat trajectory starts becoming more important.

the 2 rounds in question are very similar (OBVIOUSLY) that is the whole point of the discussion. but the 6.5 Swede does handle the heavier bullets b e t t e r than the 260 rem especially when hand loaded!!!!

just like another example
308 vs 30-06
both spit 150gr, 160gr , 168gr, bullets like rockets
but load both with a 200gr+ projectile on then end and 308 just can preform like the 06.
will the 308 with 210gr bullet go bang? yes. will it come out the end of the barrel? yes. will it be going so fast you can't see it? yesss. will it kill something at 100 yeards??? yesss!
will your hold over point of impact have a more dramatic variation over various distances as compared to the 06 same bullet YESS!!

Don't get mad when a slightly bigger cased cartridge eeks out a little more Umph!
They physics are what they are and we all know it.

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.