"Does that infer,that a 223 loaded at 65K PSI,erodes throats on the same order as the .220 Howell at 65K PSI? Despite significant differences in propellant charge weights?"
<br>
<br>Exactly. At a given pressure (and by association, its given temperature), the barrel absorbs the same heat from the powder gas, and the throat erodes at whatever rate it erodes at that pressure and temperature.
<br>
<br>"Also,why wouldn't a soft loaded 22-284(62grs H2O capacity),not replicate performance you mention,but in a shorter/stiffer action?"
<br>
<br>It would. But I don't like or trust high-pressure cases with rebated rims. They're weaker where they need to be as strong as possible. A case with a rebated rim can blow gas backward more readily than a full rimless case.
<br>
<br>I bought the remains of an exploded rifle that shows frighteningly what wild gas can do. (It'll be a permanent display at the Powley Center.) The barrel seems to have suffered no damage from the greatly overloaded cartridge. The wildly excessive peak pressure poked quite a hole out the back of the case even though the case is a full rimless, not a rebated-rim case.
<br>
<br>But the receiver and stock are collections of large and small pieces, and my friend luckily has only one minute speck of brass in his face (too small to be any trouble or worth going after) and had to have only one larger chunk dug out of his face. The barrel and largest pieces of the action went YARDS in several directions.
<br>
<br>As I said, the case is rimless. The peak pressure was a Mount Everest, not an anthill. This event would've been even more likely if the case had had a rebated rim.
<br>
<br>So I don't base any of my cartridge designs on the .284 unless it's for someone who specifically insists on using it as his parent case. Even then, I resist.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.