Following are my personal observations � yours may be (most likely are) different

Actual/perceived recoil with different grip frames/platforms has a lot to do with hand size, hand position on the grip, grip tension, stance, etc. � it is very specific to the individual.

I have a 3 �� Round Butt FA97 .45 Colt. It is very well balanced, very comfortable in the hand and extremely easy to shoot well. Shooting 320gr SWCs at 1,130 fps, I don�t think it handles recoil quite as well as the 4 �� standard grip .45 Colt mentioned in my previous post. Velocity from both guns is about the same (1,130 vs. 1,138fps � chronoed one after the other on the same day). The 4 �� is slightly heavier (maybe 2 � oz.) due to the non fluted cylinder, extra �� of bbl and the octagon bbl � doubt this makes much difference in perceived recoil. Both will get your attention, but neither recoil as heavily as top end .475s or .454 loads in the standard gripped M83.

I don�t have, and haven�t handled, a round butt M83, so I can�t comment.

With all that said, I don�t shoot a lot of heavy recoiling stuff anymore. I shoot the .475s mostly with 400s at 1,100 fps and the .45 Colts with 280s at 900 fps. These loads will handle the majority of all the shooting I�m likely to do and do it comfortably.

Here�s a couple of more pictures.

FA M97 3 1/2", round butt, .45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

The 3 1/2" round butt, compared to a 5 1/2" .44 Special (not a real good picture).

[Linked Image]

Paul