I have had a FA 454 for 20years now and it is a great gun. I run 350 grs at 1550 fps in the gun and your hands really need to be in shape to shoot it well.

No matter how conditioned you get there will always be a limit to the amount of beating you can take before starting to do damage.

One thing to think about is that the 454 will run 45 Colts and, in my opinion, you will have less blast and softer recoil from the 45 Colt than the 41 Mag when both are loaded to the same game killing potential.

The 45 Colt can get more done at less pressure and this will reduce blast and soften the recoil impulse. A 275gr or so bullet at 1000fps is a very deadly deer load and pleasant to shoot in the Freedom Gun.

Another advantage is the easier availability of decent commercial cast bullets and loads for the 45 Colt.

Nothing against 41 Mags, but they sure are loud when loaded to full power and the 41 will never equal the 45s if you ever want to run a few heavy loads for fun.

Getting the FA 22 would sure be nice no matter what you choose for the big bore.

I personally prefer the FA grip frame to the Ruger Bisley (close second in SAs) but the Super BH and BH don�t work very well for me. To each his own.

A set of well made custom grips for the Bisley that are wider in the area that the web of your hand sits and have a better blended radius does certainly help the Bisley, at least for me, and this is the area where the FA grip is better. A lot of the factory Ruger grips are also undersized and let the frame lead in the recoil.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.