I've had a number of rifles in both and will say from a practical viewpoint there isn't that much difference in game taking capability of either. If you are a ballistics nut however I was never able to get the 7mm within 200fps of the 270 with comparable bullet weights using any printed data including the heavy load data for modern rifles. I will also say that as group the 3-4 270's I had probably shot better than the 3-4 7mm's I had out of the box. The 7mm's usually required some adjustments in seating depth to comp for the long throats to get them to shoot their best. Don't be fooled by all of the recoil hype because if you shoot a 140 gr bullet at 2700 fps from a 7.5 lb rifle then there usually isn't much recoil difference whether the diameter of the bullet is .264, 284 or .308. The fit of the stock and hardness if the butt pad will have more influence than the bore diameter on felt recoil. Having said all of this the 7mm does have as stated a coolness factor but the 270 is a much better practical choice in terms of factory loads availability both full and reduced recoil and cost while generally having a slight ballistics edge. Just my $.02

Last edited by bangeye; 04/30/11.