I built one once out of welded square tubular steel with a bicycle wheel on one end and two hand grips on the other. I packed several antelope and two mulie bucks out on it. The one wheel is good on sidehills, but half the weight was in my hands. It would work for an elk quarter.

I now have a two wheel carrier that I bought from Cabela's. The weight is balanced over the wheels. I've used it to pack quite a few antelope, sometimes two at a time. It can be "tippy" on sidehills, and if one wheel goes over a rock or bush. One or two people can operate it.

I've seen a heavy duty one with one wheel under a large wire basket and handles on both ends for two people to hold on to. The one I saw would carry half an elk. The wheel was about the size of a motorcycle wheel.

Years ago I packed a camp into the Bob Marshall Wilderness with my horses. Two guys used one of these heavy duty, one wheel carriers to pack their camp in with. The Forest Service Ranger saw their track on the trail, followed it to them, wrote them a ticket for using a mechanical device in the Wildneress, and made them hire an outfitter to pack their camp and the carrier out on his mules.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member