I have never used one,but they would not work where I typically hunt elk. Usually there is only a narrow trial. Rocks,logs, blow downs, would make it almost impossible to navigate.I could see some one doing more lifting than pulling.

They would be dandy for pronghorn or eastern Colo plains deer.
However,almost all the ranches I hunt a person can drive to within fairly close proximity of the downed animall as long as you are not drivig on winter wheat, crops or prime pasture land. Common courtesy says you always drive along fence lines ,which usually have a two track along them and you don't drive thru tall CRP lands as the exhaust pipe/catalytic converter can start fires.

As far as I know,all wilderness areas are like national forest.Administered by the federal govt and all use the same set of regulations. Wheeled vehicles of any type,motorized or not, chian saws and the like are all prohibited in wilderness areas.

In addition, all NF have maps showing where motorized vehilces of any sort are permitted or not

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles