Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
No, it puts a solo canoeist in the best possible position to handle a tandem canoe.

Has worked for me for over 50 years.

Good for ya. It only proves you're a slow learner.

Bull$hit. Tell me how to paddle solo in the middle of a 36-38 inch wide tandem �barge�?????

Not from the middle - from just behind the middle. Watch the Bill Mason video I linked in my last post, then check out his instructional videos at the Film Canada site.

The "slow learner" remark was a cheap-shot, and I apologize. Can't expect you to know it if you've only been shown one way. That is why I suggested lessons or study to the OP, and why I posted the other video links.

Check out those youtube videos I linked. The guy soloing the Cronje is showing an extreme example, in that the canoe is unloaded and riding high. With practice, it is easy - but it's even easier with about 60lbs or more gear ahead of you in the boat, holding it down closer to level. The thing is, the boat just handles so much better with you and your gear more centered in the boat. It turns better and it rides over waves easier. With the right paddle, you can get closer to both ends of the boat for better control while positioned to one side and just behind the yoke. You just have to learn the proper strokes to make it go the way you want to.

Last edited by FreeMe; 06/29/11. Reason: detail

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.