Originally Posted by BikerRN
Howdy all,

Wife is wanting to get some form of watercraft and our financial situation being what it is we settled for a canoe. We will be camping at local lakes and I'll do some fishing by myself while she does whatever it is she does. She wants to paddle around on the water a little and just have some fun. We will also do some class 1 and 1+ stuff nearby on a local river.

Niether of us has canoe expirience, but that will change shortly. I've been looking at two different canoes and need help making up my mind. Do I get the Mad River Adventure 14 or the Old Town Guide 147? Please tell me why you selected what you choose. Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

My wife and I bought our Mad River Explorer 16' Royalex canoe about 15 years ago, to do exactly what you and your wife plan to do.
We put it on several lakes, both small and large, as well as the Colorado, Green, Blue, North and South Platte, and Arkansas Rivers in Colorado and Wyoming.

It proved to be a safe, maneuverable, fun boat to own and enjoy.

A few months ago, I gave it to my son and his wife, to begin their 'canoe journey' through life, as well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....