Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: I have seen enough of your groups on here fired with pre 64 barrels to be able to say that they mirror the results I have seen for years from those barrels.

Most of my custom barrels in 270 have been Kriegers and nicely accurate....but I am forced to admit that in many cases, I can't tell the difference between those and many pre 64's,in calibers from 220 Swift clear up through 375 H&H....the reason I no longer tear up pre 64's for custom rifles....I use the factory barrels and just slap 'em in a synthetic stock,until the factory barrels go;then replace with a Krieger (or a new Brux like I just ordered).

I am very impressed with the SC M70's,and if looking for a rifle like raybass wants today, would not hesitate to do the same things with a new FN M70 in 270 FW.....I would get a SS one though just for variety...swap out the heavy BM for something lighter,put it in a Compact Edge or Brown Pound'r, add Talley LW's,and rock on... wink

That's great advice Bob. It's funny because everytime I shoot my SC fwt it just feels more like the pre 64 model 70 than my NH's. I know you've had some nice NH rifles but you've said it takes a lot of work from a good smith to make them feel and shoot like the old pre 64's and I believe every word of that. The new SC guns are great IF you can get used to those danged triggers blush. Not that they're bad either, just not what I'm used to and I guess that's my only gripe about them. One of these days I'll get the lighter spring from ernie and my griping will probably be over grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA